Hey. So it’s September 2018 & this whole month is all about pain awareness & at the time of writing this it’s Monday 3rd September 2018 & this week is all about Fibromyalgia awareness.
I suffer with Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Osteoporosis & Diverticular Disease amongst other illnesses but these are the ones that cause me chronic pain. Main one being Fibromyalgia and I’ve wrote a few blog posts about it so thought i’d devote this post to Fibromyalgia and the 200 signs & symptoms of it & if I suffer with that particular symptom and if so how it affects me. I can see this being a long blog post so you may wish to get a drink & snack, hehe.
1. ACTIVITY LEVEL DECREASED TO LESS THAN 50% OF PRE-ILLNESS ACTIVITY LEVEL. I have this. Before this illness I was working & outgoing but now I’m housebound 90% of the time.
2. COLD HANDS & FEET. I get this occasionally but it don’t cause me much bother really.
3. COUGH. I wouldn’t say it gives me a cough as such because I am Asthmatic so I always put any coughs down to that.
4. CRAVING CARBOHYDRATES. This doesn’t really apply to me.
5. DELAYED REACTION TO PHYSICAL ACTIVITY OR STRESSFUL EVENTS. I notice an immediate reaction than a delayed reaction.
6. DRYNESS OF EYES AND/OR MOUTH. I do get this, more so dry mouth.
7. FAMILY MEMBER/S WITH FIBROMYALGIA. My younger sister has it too.
8. FATIGUE, MADE WORSE BY PHYSICAL EXERTION OR STRESS. I definitely suffer with this.
9. FEELING COLD OFTEN. Don’t really suffer with this, I feel hot most of the time.
10. FEELING HOT OFTEN. I’ve answered that above.
11. FREQUENT SIGHING. Definitely.
12. HEART PALPITATIONS. Yes, very bad with very high heart rate however it may be down to a heart condition and not Fibromyalgia & I get them daily.
13. HOARSENESS. Wouldn’t say I suffer with this.
14. INCREASED THIRST. I don’t drink enough so definitely don’t have an increased thirst.
15. LOW BLOOD PRESSURE (BELOW 110/70). At times yes.
16. LOW BODY TEMPERATURE (BELOW 97.6). I have more of a higher body temperature.
17. LOW-GRADE FEVERS. I do suffer with this every few days.
18. NIGHT SWEATS. Yes, could also be because I’m post-menopausal.
19. POOR CIRCULATION IN HANDS/FEET. Not my hands but my feet yes & they regularly go purple & blue.
20. RECURRENT FLU-LIKE ILLNESS. Yes, I do get like that especially with the muscular aches & pains.
21. SHORTNESS OF BREATH WITH LITTLE OR NO EXERTION. Yes but as above I’m Asthmatic too.
22. SEVERE NASAL ALLERGIES (NEW OR WORSENING ALLERGIES). I have quite a few allergies and developed a new one since having Fibromyalgia.
23. SORE THROAT. Doesn’t really apply to me.
24. SWEATS. Oh yes.
25. SYMPTOMS WORSENED BY AIR TRAVEL. Never knew this was a symptom but it makes sense now. Went on 2 long haul 9 hours flights in February & my symptoms were worsened to the point where I was in tears.
26. SYMPTOMS WORSENED BY STRESS. Very much so. Stress affects many illnesses.
27. SYMPTOMS WORSENED BY TEMPERATURE CHANGES. Definitely. My symptoms are easier in the dry and sunny weather but much worse in the cold & wet weather.
28. TENDER OR SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES ESPECIALLY IN NECK & UNDERARMS. My lymph nodes do get tender at times in my neck.
29. TREMOR OR TREMBLING. I do get the odd episode where I can’t stop trembling even if it’s warm.
30. UNEXPLAINED WEIGHT GAIN OR LOSS. My weight fluctuates.
** PAIN **
31. CHEST PAIN. Oh yes, I have frequent attacks of the painful condition Chostochondritis.
32. DIFFUSE SWELLING. I get swelling in my abdomen, feet & ankles.
33. “GROWING” PAINS THAT DON’T GO AWAY ONCE YOU ARE DONE GROWING. I suffered very badly with growing pains when I was a child and it’s like I’m still getting growing pains.
34. HEADACHE. I get the occasional headache.
35. INFLAMED RIB CARTILAGE. Yes, with the Chostochondritis.
36. JOINT PAIN. Very severely.
37. LUMPY, TENDER BREASTS. Yes.
38. MORNING STIFFNESS. Yes, can take me over an hour to get up.
39. MUSCLE PAIN. Very much so.
40. MUSCLE SPASMS. My whole body usually goes into spasm but on muscle relaxants for it.
41. MUSCLE TWITCHING. Yes, you can see my muscles twitching.
42. MUSCLE WEAKNESS. Very much so, makes me feel a lot older than I am.
43. PAIN THAT RANGES FROM MODERATE TO SEVERE. Every single day.
44. PAIN THAT MOVES AROUND THE BODY. I get pain all over my body.
45. PARALYSIS OR SEVERE WEAKNESS OF AN ARM OR LEG. Yes, most of the time.
46. REATLESS LEG SYNDROME. Yes, at night, so annoying.
47. RIB PAIN. Yes, again through the Chostochondritis.
48. SCALP PAIN (LIKE HAIR BEING PULLED OUT). My scalp is very sensitive.
49. TENDER POINTS OR TRIGGER POINTS. Every single tender point I am very tender in.
50. TMJ SYNDROME. I do get jaw pain but this isn’t something which I’ve been diagnosed with.
51. “VOODOO DOLL” POKING SENSATION IN RANDOM PLACES. Oh yes.
** NEUROLOGICAL **
52. BLACKOUTS. Not really however 2 weeks ago approx I had a fainting episode.
53. BRAIN FOG. All the time.
54. FEELING SPACED OUT. At times yes I do feel as if I’m not with it.
55. INABILITY TO THINK CLEARLY. Yes, all ties in with the brain/fibro fog.
56. LIGHTHEADEDNESS. All the time, when standing & walking.
57. NOISE INTOLERANCE. I get very sensitive to certain noises & can’t tolerate them.
58. NUMBNESS OR TINGLING SENSATIONS. Sometimes yes.
59. PHOTOPHOBIA (SENSITIVITY TO LIGHT). Occasionally, more so if I’ve got a headache.
60. SEIZURES. No thank goodness.
61. SEIZURE-LIKE EPISODES. No.
62. SENSATION THAT YOU MIGHT FAINT. Very often.
63. SYNCOPE (FAINTING). Had a faint approx 2 weeks ago.
64. TINNITUS (RINGING IN ONE OR BOTH EARS). I don’t get ringing in my ears however I get a whooshing sound in my ears at times.
65. VERTIGO OR DIZZINESS. Both, very often.
** EQUILIBRIUM/PERCEPTION **
66. BUMPING INTO THINGS. All the time, I’m so clumsy.
67. CLUMSY WALKING. Oh yes.
68. DIFFICULTY BALANCING. I do get very wobbly on my feet.
69. DIFFICULTY JUDGING DISTANCES (WHEN DRIVING ETC). Not really and I don’t drive.
70. DIRECTIONAL DISORIENTATION. No.
71. DROPPING THINGS FREQUENTLY. Yes, it’s like I’ve got butter fingers.
72. FEELING SPATIALLY DISORIENTED. No.
73. FREQUENT TRIPPING OR STUMBLING. Very often I get this.
74. NOT SEEING WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT. At times yes, my vision can go blurry.
75. POOR BALANCE AND COORDINATION. Sometimes.
76. STAGGERING GAIT. A little bit.
** SLEEP **
77. ALERTNESS/ENERGY BEST LATE AT NIGHT. Half & half really.
78. ALTERED SLEEP/WAKE SCHEDULE. Yes, I don’t have a particular pattern to it.
79. AWAKENING FREQUENTLY. All the time.
80. DIFFICULTY FALLING ASLEEP. Yes, all the time, it’s so annoying.
81. DIFFICULTLY STAYING ASLEEP. Very much so.
82. EXCESSIVE SLEEPING. I wish.
83. EXTREME ALERTNESS OR ENERGY LEVELS LATE AT NIGHT. Alertness yes but not so much energy.
84. FALLING ASLEEP AT RANDOM & SOMETIMES DANGEROUS MOMENTS. Not really no.
85. FATIGUE. All the damn time, I also suffer with CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome).
86. LIGHT OR BROKEN SLEEP PATTERN. Every single night.
87. MUSCLE SPASMS/TWITCHES AT NIGHT. Every.single.night.
88. NARCOLEPSY. Never.
89. SLEEP DISTURBANCES. All the time.
90. SLEEP STARTS OR FALLING SENSATION. Yes, occasionally.
91. TEETH GRINDING. I don’t grind my teeth no.
92. TOSSING & TURNING. All night, every night.
93. UN-REFRESHING OR NON-RESTORATIVE SLEEP. Yes, every single night.
94. VIVID OR DISTURBING DREAMS/NIGHTMARES. Quite often and I can always remember them.
** EYES/VISION **
95. BLIND SPOTS IN VISION. Occasionally.
96. EYE PAIN. Yes but I always put it down to it being a tension headache.
97. DIFFICULTLY SWITCHING FOCUS FROM ONE THING TO ANOTHER. Not really.
98. FREQUENT CHANGES IN ABILITY TO SEE WELL. Not really no.
99. NIGHT DRIVING DIFFICULTY. I don’t drive.
100. OCCASIONAL BLURRY VISION. Yes, very frequently.
101. POOR NIGHT VISION. A little.
102. RAPIDLY WORSENING VISION. My vision is getting worse but not rapidly.
103. VISION CHANGES. A little bit.
** COGNITIVE **
104. BECOMING LOST IN FAMILIAR LOCATIONS WHEN DRIVING. I don’t drive.
105. CONFUSION. All the time.
106. DIFFICULTLY EXPRESSING IDEAS IN WORDS. Yes & then I sound like I don’t know what I’m trying to talk about.
107. DIFFICULTLY FOLLOWING CONVERSATION (ESPECIALLY IF BACKGROUND NOISE PRESENT). A little bit yes.
108. DIFFICULTLY FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS WHILE DRIVING. N/A.
109. DIFFICULTLY FOLLOWING ORAL INSTRUCTIONS. A little, depends really on what it is.
110. DIFFICULTLY FOLLOWING WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS. No, not really.
111. DIFFICULTLY MAKING DECISIONS. No.
112. DIFFICULTLY MOVING YOUR MOUTH TO SPEAK. Occasionally.
113. DIFFICULTLY PAYING ATTENTION. Yes, a lot of the time.
114. DIFFICULTLY PUTTING IDEAS TOGETHER TO FORM A COMPLETE PICTURE. Rarely.
115. DIFFICULTLY PUTTING TASKS OR THINGS IN PROPER SEQUENCE. Yes but that’s where a list comes in handy.
116. DIFFICULTLY RECOGNISING FACES. Not really, it’s more of a case I have difficulty with remembering names.
117. DIFFICULTLY SPEAKING KNOWN WORDS. Rarely.
118. DIFFICULTLY REMEMBERING NAMES OF OBJECTS. Rarely.
119. DIFFICULTLY REMEMBERING NAMES OF PEOPLE. I answered this in question 116.
120. DIFFICULTLY UNDERSTANDING WHAT YOU READ. Not really but I lose concentration very quickly.
121. DIFFICULTLY WITH LONG-TERM MEMORY. No, not really.
122. DIFFICULTLY WITH SIMPLE CALCULATIONS. Yes, either have to write it down as a sum & work it out that way or use a good old calculator.
123. DIFFICULTLY WITH SHORT-TERM MEMORY. At times yes.
124. EASILY DISTRACTED DURING A TASK. Frequently yes.
125. FEELING TOO DISORIENTED TO DRIVE. N/A.
126. FORGETTING HOW TO DO ROUTINE THINGS. Sometimes.
127. IMPAIRED ABILITY TO CONCENTRATE. Yes, definitely.
128. INABILITY TO RECOGNISE FAMILIAR SURROUNDINGS. No.
129. LOSING TRACK IN THE MIDDLE OF A TASK (REMEMBERING WHAT TO DO NEXT). Quite often this happens to me.
130. LOSING YOUR TRAIN OF THOUGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF A SENTENCE. All the time.
131. LOSS OF ABILITY TO DISTINGUISH SOME COLOURS. No.
132. POOR JUDGEMENT. Sometimes & depends on what it is.
133. SHORT TERM MEMORY IMPAIRMENT. A little yes.
134. SLOWED SPEECH. Rarely, I talk too much, hehe.
135. STARING INTO SPACE TRYING TO THINK. Quite often, I’ve done that since starting writing this post.
136. SWITCHING LEFT & RIGHT. Sometimes.
137. STUTTERING/STAMMERING. No.
138. TRANSPOSITION (REVERSAL) OF NUMBERS, WORDS &/OR LETTERS WHEN YOU WRITE. No, never.
139. TRANSPOSITION (REVERSAL) OF NUMBERS WORDS &/OR LETTERS WHEN YOU WRITE. I don’t know why this question was on the list twice and I did check to make sure it wasn’t fibro fog hehe, answer on Q138.
140. TROUBLE CONCENTRATING. Yes, very regularly.
141. USING THE WRONG WORD. At times.
142. WORD-FINDING DIFFICULTY. Yes, quite often this happens to me.
** EMOTIONAL **
143. ABRUPT &/OR UNPREDICTABLE MOOD SWINGS. Occasionally but I will just sit in silence when it happens till it blows over.
144. ANGER OUTBURSTS. No, I’m not an angry person.
145. ANXIETY OR FEAR WHEN THERE IS NO OBVIOUS CAUSE. Very frequently.
146. ATTACKS OF UNCONTROLLABLE RAGE. Never.
147. DECREASED APPETITE. Yes, all the time, may only eat 1 meal a day.
148. DEPRESSED MOOD. Definitely, this illness does make you feel low in spirits & depressed.
149. FEELING HELPLESS &/OR HOPELESS. All the time.
150. FEELING WORTHLESS. Majority of the time.
151. FREQUENT CRYING. No.
152. INABILITY TO ENJOY PREVIOUSLY ENJOYED ACTIVITIES. Very much so.
153. IRRATIONAL FEARS. Rarely, if I let the Anxiety get to me then I have horrible fears, try to push it all to the back of my head.
154. IRRITABILITY. Most of the time.
155. OVERREACTION. Now a couple of years ago I would over react but not so much anymore.
156. PANIC ATTACKS. Used to suffer with very bad panic attack’s prior to diagnosis but over the years I learned how to control them & don’t really have them anymore.
157. PERSONALITY CHANGES. I can’t really say I’ve changed as such as a person. I feel like I’m a much stronger person now & I know that there are a lot more worse illnesses out there to suffer with/from.
158. PHOBIAS. Don’t have any new phobias that came on after diagnosis.
159. SUICIDE ATTEMPTS. Never.
160. SUICIDAL THOUGHTS. No, I have my kids, family & friends to live for.
161. TENDENCY TO CRY EASILY. I’ve always been like that, what can I say, I’m an emotional person.
** GASTROINTESTINAL **
162. ABDOMINAL CRAMPS. Nearly every day but I do have bowel disease.
163. BLOATING. Very frequently.
164. DECREASED APPETITE. Already answered this question a few questions back.
165. FOOD CRAVINGS. I get the odd craving where I fancy something sweet or savoury.
166. FREQUENT CONSTIPATION. Often due to my bowel disease and my medications.
167. FREQUENT DIARHOEA. Yes, again due to my bowel disease.
168. HEARTBURN. All the time, mostly at night.
169. INCREASED APPETITE. No, my appetite has decreased quite drastically.
170. INTESTINAL GAS. Yes but no more than the average person.
171. IRRITABLE BLADDER. Yes due to an illness called Uretheral Stenosis.
172. IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME. I do have this yes as well as IBD.
173. NAUSEA. All the damn time, usually starts early hours of the morning and lasts to at least lunch time. I have to actually take anti-nausea medications for it.
174. STOMACH ACHE. Yes & that’s one pain that I find very hard to cope with.
175. VOMITING. Frequently yes.
176. WEIGHT GAIN. My weight fluctuates, I’m either ideal weight or slightly overweight but only by 2 stones, at the time of writing this I’m currently 1 and a half stone overweight, was 2 stone overweight but lost half a stone in the past 2 weeks.
177. WEIGHT LOSS. Been answered in the previous question.
** UROGENITAL **
178. DECREASED LIBIDO (SEX DRIVE). Yes but that is a personal question for between me and my fiancé so don’t want to talk about it on here.
179. ENDOMETRIOSIS. I have this painful illness. Led to me having a total hysterectomy and bilateral salpingoophrectomy in December 2011 at the young age of 28 years old. That was 7 years ago & I thought it would be the end of it after having everything took away but no, it’s back, I’ve got it on my intestines.
180. FREQUENT URINATION. Average I suppose.
181. IMPOTENCE. N/A.
182. MENSTRUAL PROBLEMS. I did have but not no more.
183. PAINFUL URINATION OR BLADDER PAIN. When I have a urinary tract infection or a kidney infection then yes.
184. PELVIC PAIN. A little.
185. PROSTATE PAIN. N/A.
186. URINARY FREQUENCY. Already answered this question.
187. WORSENING OF PRE-MENSTRUAL SYNDROME (PMS). Not at all.
** SENSITIVITIES **
188. ALCOHOL INTOLERANCE. I don’t drink alcohol & haven’t done in years. When I used to drink alcohol it used to give me horrible stomach cramps & made me feel so poorly so avoid it completely.
189. ALLODYNIA (HYPERSENSITIVE TO TOUCH). Badly. What might be a simple non-painful tap to you for me it would be very painful.
190. ALTERATION OF TASTE, SMELL &/OR HEARING. Hearing yes but not the other two.
191. ODOUR SENSITIVITY. Not really.
192. SENSITIVITY TO CHEMICALS IN CLEANING PRODUCTS, PERFUMES ETC. Not so much perfumes but cleaning products very much so.
193. SENSITIVITIES TO FOOD. Yes quite a few. Too many to list but they all play havoc with my bowel condition. Major ones are nuts, seeds, popcorn & corn.
194. SENSITIVITY TO LIGHT. Already answered this question but yes sometimes.
195. SENSITIVITY TO MOULD. Yes, would affect my Asthma.
196. SENSITIVITY TO NOISE. Some noises really do get to me.
197. SENSITIVITY TO ODOURS. Already answered this question.
198. SENSITIVITY TO YEAST (GETTING YEAST INFECTIONS FREQUENTLY ON SKIN, ETC). If that’s what a urine infection is then yes.
199. SENSORY OVERLOAD. Only a little.
And last but not least…..
200. SENSITIVITY TO PRESSURE CHANGES, TEMPERATURE & HUMIDITY. Yes, very sensitive.
Wow, that was a lot to go through.
Really hope you’ve enjoyed reading this post and if you read the whole post well done & thank you, comment & let me know if you read it all or if you have any questions. Hope this post has given you an in-depth explanation of how I suffer.
As always thank you so much for reading.
Until next time,
#fibromyalgia #painawarenessmonth #fibromyalgiaawarenessweek